Gay Travel Guide: Greece
- Capital City – Athens
- Population of Greece – 10.74 Million (2018)
- Official Language – Greek
- Official Currency – Euro
Greece is nothing short of breathtaking wonder that beholds a deep integration of culture, history, food, and life. As the historic birthplace of democracy and the ancient cornerstones of modern mathematics, art, law and science; it is a truly unique place unlike anywhere in the world and one of the most eclectically diverse and beautiful countries of the Mediterranean.
One important distinction in Greece, is the difference between life in the big cities and island villages. In Athens, you will notice an overwhelming level of history as it has been built a top itself after millennias of war and changes of power. Life there is fast paced, exciting and never a dull moment. The Greek islands on the other hand, you will find yourself on island time. Life is more relaxed, and locals focus more time on food, family and life. Some of the most beautiful natural geological places in the world reside in the Greek island chains of the Aegean Sea.
There is definitely no shortage of adventure. Climb the ancient steps of the Acropolis and see the temples that once stood as grand stages of worship to the Gods, dive into the crystal-clear emerald waters of the Cyclades and feel the warm Mediterranean sun on your skin. See the wonders of the Santorini island caldera as you explore the cliffs of this once volcanic island. Try an array of delicious local foods with some of the freshest vegetable, meat, cheese and seafood dishes in the world, and of course, feel the pulse and energy of Greece as you wonder Mykonos with this soft sandy beaches and lively city center.
Wherever you are in Greece, you will always have something different to see, something new to learn, and a place to explore.
TOP 3 Highlights:
- Explore the Acropolis of Athens
- Walk through the cliffside cities of Fira and Oia on Santorini
- Relax on the beaches and party in the clubs of Mykonos
TOP 3 Restaurants:
- O’ Hamos Restaurant – Adamas, Milos - This mom and pop Greek restaurant is situated right by the beach in Adamas on the island of Milos. With a quintessential Greek vibe and great friendly service. Make sure to try their goats’ cheese that is straight from the farm the family owns on the island.
- D’Angelo’s – Mykonos – This Italian inspired restaurant is as delicious as the waiters themselves. With a swanky outside patio that is both comfortable and classy and top-notch food quality and preparation.
- Archontoula – Plaka, Milos – Owned by the bubbliest Greek woman on the island, this exquisite restaurant is situated in the heart of Plaka. It has some of the best food you will try in all of Milos, from the freshest seafood to specialty house made dishes. Expect large portions, we recommend ordering to share.
TOP 3 Bars:
- Shamone – gay bar/club with chill patio in the Kerameikos area of Athens.
- Jackie O’s – busy gay bar/club in Mykonos City
- Akri – small gay-friendly bar near Adamas Port in Milos with a chill atmosphere.
TOP 3 Optional Activities:
- Yacht day trip around Milos – An exhilarating day trip travelling around the island of Milos and exploring the caves of Kleftiko Bay.
- Delos Island – Explore the ancient island of Delos near Mykonos where the ruins of an ancient city sit in immaculate condition.
- Senset Tour of the Santorini Caldera – See the sensational sunset in the caldera of Santorini while having dinner on board.
The Best Time to Visit
Our favorite time to visit Greece is May/June and September. You will find that the weather is usually perfectly warm and sunny without the high heat in the middle of summer or cold of winter. You'll also find fewer tourists crowding the streets as the height of cruise ship season brings throngs of tourists to places such as the cliffs of Santorini. This means more time to enjoy your destinations without dealing with a high level of crowds.
A Couple Books:
- Apartment in Athens – Glenway Wescott
- When the Tree Sings – Stratis Haviaras
A Couple Movies
- Mamma Mia (musical)
- Before Midnight (Drama/Romance)
"Must Try" Local Cuisine:
- Moussaka (greek casserole)
- Lamb Kleftiko (slow cooked lamb)
- Saganaki (fried cheese)