BOOKING CONDITIONS VALID FOR BOOKINGS MADE ON OR AFTER MAY 1, 2023
See booking conditions for bookings made prior to May 1, 2023 here.
It's always a good idea to spend a few minutes getting acquainted with our booking conditions prior to signing up for your Detours trip.
All of our trips are "guaranteed departures" which means that we do not have a minimum number of travelers required to confirm a departure. That said, Detours reserves the right to cancel a trip based on situations out of our control which can include political instability, terrorism, natural disasters, travel restrictions, pandemics, etc. We will always give our travelers as much notice as possible if any situation arises that forces a trip cancellation. If Detours must cancel a trip for reasons outside of our control, booked travelers will retain all paid funds, minus unrecoverable costs, as credit for future travel with Detours with no expiry date or destination restrictions.
- $500 deposit per person - Due within 7 days of registration.
- Remaining balance - Due 60 days prior to trip start date.
CANCELLING / RE-SCHEDULING YOUR TRIP
- Cancel/reschedule at least 6 months (180+ days) prior to trip start - deposit is 100% transferable to future Detours trip.
- Cancel/reschedule at least 4 months (120-179 days) prior to trip start - deposit is 50% transferable to future Detours trip
- Cancel/reschedule at least 2 months (60-119 days) prior to trip start - deposit is not transferable to future Detours trip
- Cancel/reschedule less than 2 months (0-59 days) prior to trip start date - all payments non-refundable, non-transferable.
It's optional, but we always suggest taking out comprehensive travel insurance which can include trip cancellation, baggage delay, etc. Travel insurance can be purchased through our Insurance page.
Why do we have cancellation fees? Nobody likes them, we get it, and we don't either. However, travelers payments are used to confirm flights, hotel bookings, and other services on their behalf in the destination country. As the trip approaches, those payments are subject to increasing costs that must be passed along to our travelers. This is why comprehensive travel insurance is the best way to protect your payments against many unpredictable life events that may get in the way of you joining the trip.
All published prices are based on twin-share (2 travelers per room). Solo traveler? No problem! We offer two options for our solo travelers:
- Roommate Matching: We will match you up with another solo traveler to share a room (two separate beds) at no additional cost. Please note that we can not guarantee any specific roommate features (ie: non-snorers, non-smokers, etc).
- Private Room: We charge a very reasonable private room cost to give you your own room for the duration of the trip. This fee is different for each trip; please check the specific trip page for details.
PASSPORTS AND VISAS
We are here to help with any information you require regarding passport and visa requirements in each of the countries we operate in. The responsibility, however, relies on the traveler to ensure the passport is valid for 6 months beyond the trip end date, as well as visas are obtained and valid (if required). We cannot be held responsible for individual passport or visa problems that may arise.
International flights to and from the destination are not included in the trip cost. As Detours is a tour operator and not a travel agency, if you would like assistance with booking your flights beyond the suggestions we provide in your welcome email, we suggest connecting with a travel agent who can help.
We definitely aren’t the “big 50-person tour bus” kind of company. We believe the best way to experience a new place is with a more intimate group rather than a parade of people. That’s why, unless otherwise stated on the trip's info page, our groups range in size up to 16 members plus one trip leader. This gives everyone lots of opportunities to meet new people and make some new BFF's while not overwhelming our destinations. Wondering how many people are booked on your upcoming trip? Just ask!
Occasionally, situations arise that require a change of accommodation, itinerary, mode of transport, schedule, etc. Detours will always inform our travelers of these changes as soon as possible as they arise. We cannot be held responsible for major changes forced by circumstances beyond our control (natural disaster, political instability, extreme weather, terrorism, etc.).
Any traveler who makes racist / abusive / offensive or any other form of discriminatory actions or physical assault against any group members, trip leaders or any third party will be removed from the tour and will not be entitled to a refund for any missed services or accommodation.