COVID-19: Updates & Policies
In this time of social distancing and staying home we're all craving something exciting to look forward to. We can't wait to resume exploring the world with you, but we also understand that the decision of where and when to travel is a personal one. Each traveler is going to feel comfortable at different times based on a variety of factors and we want to ensure that we provide you as much flexibility as possible to give you an adventure to look forward to with no risk if things change.
Flexible Booking Conditions
Throughout this pandemic we've been committed to remaining flexible and transparent with our travelers. You've got 7 full days from the date of your registration to make your first payment - your $500 USD deposit. If you need to cancel your trip for any reason, just let us know at least 30 days prior to departure and we'll transfer your payments to any Detours trip to any destination in the future - no restrictions. If we need to cancel your trip, we'll let you know at least 60 days prior to your trip and you're welcome to move any paid amounts to any Detours trip to any destination in the future - no restrictions. No change fees. No cancellation fees.
**These flexible conditions apply to all scheduled trips through January 31, 2022.
A New Normal
From a private villa in the Costa Rican jungle, to a century old manor house in the winelands of South Africa, to a small boutique hotel on the quiet island of Milos in Greece, we've always put an emphasis on small properties in unique locations while avoiding crowded big-box resorts. Even in tourist hot spots like Machu Picchu, Angkor Wat, and Mykonos, we've always prioritized smaller boutique properties with plenty of character. We continue working with all of our local providers to offer enhanced cleaning, alternative dining options, and more spacious transportation with a lower risk of crowding. We're committed to providing an experience for our travelers that's as safe as possible.
Travelers with bookings through 2021 have been receiving regular update emails regarding the changing world of travel as it relates to their trip. Those booked onto a trip that has been cancelled have been contacted directly and have been provided a full credit to use on any Detours trip in the future with no expiry date or date/destination restrictions. Travelers with existing bookings who would like to cancel or re-schedule their future trip are being handled on a case-by-case situation to ensure we provide as much flexibility as possible and should contact us to discuss available options.
We're here for you
We'd love to chat with you about your travel plans and help to answer your questions about traveling in the coming months and years. From Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm Pacific time, just click the live-chat button here on our site (we promise we aren't bots), or call us at 1-800-680-8066, or email us any time at email@example.com.
Getting Back to Travel: A Safe Restart
Updated: August 16, 2021
The rollercoaster that is the Covid-19 pandemic continues. The great news is that some of our destinations have done an impressive job of keeping their case numbers down and have opened their doors to safely welcome our groups. Starting with our July Greece trip, we've been operating those trips in destinations where we feel we can offer our groups a safe and enjoyable experience. The bad news is that this means we continue to cancel trips in some destinations and are keeping a close eye on the changing travel restrictions and case numbers.
Everyone will be ready to get back to traveling at different times, and that's why we've implemented a 30-day cancellation policy for all travelers booked on trips with us through the end of January 2022. This means that these travelers are welcome to cancel their trip for any reason up to 30 days prior to their trip retain 100% of their paid funds for a future Detours trip.
We continue to send our update emails to travelers 60 days prior to their trip with trip updates as well as information about the current Covid-19 situation in the destination. Then, another email 30 days prior to departure details the current restrictions, entry requirements, and case numbers to ensure each traveler has the information necessary to make their travel decisions. These are in addition to a 10-day update email which also includes arrival instructions, confirmed itinerary/accommodation, etc. In addition to this local information, the following general FAQ relates to all Detours trips through December 31, 2021:
- Do I need to be vaccinated to join a trip?
- Detours will follow the legal requirements of the countries that we operate in which generally require proof of vaccination, a PCR test with negative result taken within 72 hours of arrival, or proof of antibodies (for those who have tested positive for Covid no more than 3 months in advance of arrival). As requirements differ from country to country, we will ensure travelers are updated as their trip approaches in their 60-day, 30-day, and 10-day emails.
- Will the group be required to physically distance or wear masks during the trip?
- Given the nature of group travel, it is not feasible to ensure distance can be maintained at all times during a trip and will therefore not be required, with the exception of crowded places or those places in which local regulations require. You will be required to have a mask on-hand during the trip for situations where masks are advised and/or required which may include public transport, crowded situations, or places where masks are enforced.
- What insurance should I get?
- All travelers on Detours trips require travel insurance which covers, at a minimum, emergency medical treatment, repatriation, and personal liability for the duration of the trip. Coverage for Covid-related issues is not required, but is strongly advised, and is available from many (but not all) providers. We suggest speaking with your insurance provider to ensure you understand your coverage.
- What if someone in the group becomes sick during the trip?
- Our number one priority is the health and safety of our travelers as well as the local communities we visit. As a result, if any of our group members or the trip leader experience symptoms of Covid-19 during the trip, they will be required to visit a doctor to assess the symptoms and receive a clearance to continue the trip. If Covid-19 is confirmed, the traveler will be required to follow those rules of the destination which may include quarantine and testing.
- What has been done to improve safety in the destination country?
- From accommodation to transport providers to local guides, the tourism industry overall has gone to great lengths to improve the cleanliness and safety of their products and services. While the specifics vary, our partners have committed to rigorous sanitization procedures and follow the safety requirements set out by local authorities. Many destinations have implements their own local cleanliness certification programs which set a standard based on their cleaning and air purification practices. For more information about a specific destination please contact us.
- Is room sharing still available?
- Yes. Many of our solo travelers choose to share a room with another solo traveler through the trip and this option will continue to be offered. Bedding is provided in two separate twin beds. For solo travelers wishing to travel in their own private room, a private-room upgrade is available on all trips for a reasonable cost.
- Where can I find out more information about the current situation in a particular country?
- There are several sources that we use to inform our decisions about traveling in a particular country during this pandemic. We provide regular updates to our travelers on upcoming trips as part of their 60-day trip update and 30-day trip update, but we also suggest the following sites with regularly updated information:
- Europe: Re-Open EU
- World: IATA's Interactive Map
We really appreciate your continued patience as we navigate the changing world of travel, and we can't wait to get back out there with you! If you have any questions related to traveling with us, please reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 1-800-680-8066.